Meat and dairy products are the obvious protein sources, but what else is out there? There are many different options of where to get your protein from that doesn’t involve any animal product.
- Beans are a big one. There are many different types of beans and almost all of them are packed with protein. Beans are great because they are so versatile. They can be cooked in soups, salads, sandwiches, dips, and many other things.
- Tofu. Tofu doesn’t have much of a taste on it’s own but it can easily be adapted to any type of meal. It can be marinated and spiced to taste just about any way you’d like it to.
- Tempeh. Tempeh is similar to tofu but it has a slightly meatier texture to it and does have a bit of a nutty taste on it’s own. Nonetheless it is just as versatile as tofu and can be made to taste any way you’d like.
- Nuts and nut butters! These are excellent sources of protein. You can make a trail mix or some granola bars, get creative and play around with it.
- Quinoa. It can be used in place of rice in any dish (we have yet to try it in sushi rolls though, hmmm) and is wonderful with fresh veggies and herbs in a salad!
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, not even close! xo